First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the romantic honeymoon! Arguably the honeymoon is what planning a wedding is all about. Put your hard work in and RELAX and enjoy the new life long union with your partner. REAL SIZE BRIDE previously told you the average cost of a wedding in 2012 was $26,984, but this excluded the average honeymoon cost. We would once again like to thank theknot.com in advance for providing the most up-to-date wedding and honeymoon statistics, that we are able to bring you.
AVERAGE HONEYMOON COST
- Estimated Number of Honeymooners: 1.4 million U.S. couples per year
- Average Cost of Honeymoon: $4,466
- Honeymoon Length: 8 days, on average (excluding travel time)
- Who’s Paying: 62% of couples pay for most (at least 90%) of their honeymoon on their own
- When They Book the Honeymoon: 4 months before the wedding date, on average
MOST ROMANTIC HONEYMOON DESTINATIONS
- International Destinations: Mexico (15%), Hawaii (12%), Jamaica (7%), The Bahamas (5%), Italy (5%), St. Lucia (5%), France (3%), and U.S. Virgin Islands. (3%)
- Continental U.S. Destinations: Florida (8%), California (5%), Nevada (3%)
- Luxury Honeymooners: represent 15% of the market and spend more than $7,000
- Most Popular Luxury Honeymoon Destination Region (% of luxury honeymooners): Europe (28%), Caribbean (21%), Hawaii (18%), South Pacific (11%)
OTHER FUN HONEYMOON TRENDS
Nearly 30% of newly married U.S. couples honeymoon exclusively within the continental U.S., whereas more than 70% travel outside of the continental U.S. (including Hawaii) for at least some part of their honeymoon.
Luxury Honeymooners Spend Approximately $10,000. Nationwide, luxury honeymooners spend an average of $9,954 on their honeymoon, and approximately 1 in 4 reside in New York or California. They honeymoon for an average of 11 days, and a majority (64%) visit more than one locale.
The Continental U.S. Surpasses the Caribbean for the First Time. The number of couples honeymooning in the continental U.S. has increased – 30% in 2010 vs. 26% in 2009, surpassing the Caribbean as a honeymoon destination region (28% in 2010 vs. 31% in 2009) for the first time. Top domestic honeymoon locales include Walt Disney World/Orlando, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Miami and the Florida Keys.
On Facebook While Honeymooning. Honeymooners don’t take a vacation from social media or mobile devices. Nearly half of couples (48%) visit Facebook while on their honeymoon, and approximately 1 in 5 couples (19%) use a mobile app during that time.